Curved steel stairs on the Bühler Innovation Campus in Uzwil
The highly modern 3-storey glass cube provides space for 300 employees. Together with partners from science and industry they will develop new approaches and sustainable solutions for the nutrition and mobility areas.
For this research centre MetallArt developed and manufactured design stairs which impress by their striking interplay of steel and glass.
Steel underside cladding
The structural supporting steel underside cladding for the design stairs captivates with its smooth and homogeneous surface. This construction element by MetallArt has already been awarded several times. According to the evenly rounded design the exactly shaped steel sheets were welded between the stringers at the underside of the design stairs. Due to the absolutely even and flush assembly by the highly qualified experts the design stairs get their distinctive look.
Self-supporting design stairs
- On the inside: Steel balustrade box-type stringer for the design stairs
- On the outside: Box-type stringer, constructed to accommodate the all glass railings
- Flight width of the design stairs: approx. 1,500mm
- Construction of the tread steps: folded steps made of 6mm thick steel sheet
- Harmoniously rounded transitions between the design stairs and the head of the stairs including the bridge
All-glass railing for design stairs
- Thickness: 20mm
- Length of the panes: up to 1.200mm
- Stainless steel U-channel section for the filigree handrail, top-attached and fixed on the glass panes
- Additional handrail made of a stainless steel round tube for the inward glass railing of the design stairs
The LED lighting, intensifying the elegant character of this sculpture, is another highlight of the design stairs. The experts of MetallArt slit the upper area of the inner stringer and inserted horizontal metal sheets into the hollow parts. The space gained was used for the installation of the LED lighting on site.
Beside the production and assembly MetallArt was responsible for the verifiable structural calculation of the design stairs and the glass railings.
Carlos Martinez Architekten AG